Tuesday 23 August 2011

Lazy Summer Trifle

Ahhh summmer...
The living is easy...
And I have way to much free time...
Yet I went for the instant vanilla pudding mix. Yes I did. 
I wanted to go on bike ride, and there was only so much daylight left. Enter 2 minute vanilla pudding! This was also an attempt to be more economical (what else was I to do with left over cake, over-ripened fruit and a near-expired jug of milk?)
Resourcefulness turned out to be delicious.
Lazy Summer Trifle
1 yellow cake mix (baked according to box directions)
1 instant vanilla pudding mix (prepared and cooled)
1 c. peaches, chopped
1 c. mixed berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
1 T. honey
1 T. vanilla
1/4 c. almonds, slivered and toasted
After the cake has cooled, remove from pan and cut into bite-sized cubes. 
In a large bowl, combine the fruit, honey and vanilla. 
Now layer! Spread a layer of the cake cubes on the bottom of a large bowl. Spoon about half of the fruit on top of the cake. Next, spread about half of the pudding over the fruit. One more layer of cake. One more layer of berries. One more layer of pudding. Top with some more berries and the toasted almonds.
Now go on an hour long bike ride. Shower. Devour trifle. Finish latest summer novel. (Story of my monday night).
Oh summer, I will miss you so badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment